Monday, May 30, 2011

Ecuador-Monday, May 30, 2011


Today was our first day in clinic. I wasn’t sure what to expect on the ride over, but as soon as we stepped off the bus we were greeted by tons of excited kids. After only one year of dental school under my belt, I hadn’t had a lot of hands-on experience. By the end of the day, I had extracted several teeth, learned how to administer anesthesia, and realized that my Spanish speaking ability is horrible. I did make some strides in breaking through the language barrier by spending some time conversing with a little girl named Gema. She did her best to teach me some good stuff. My goal by the end of the week is to be fluent so Gema will no longer giggle at me when I talk to her.

Anyone that knows me well knows that I love to eat. With that being said, lunch was definitely a highlight. The local church provided us with an awesome spread of chicken patties, rice, veggies, and cake. They encouraged us to eat as much as our hearts desired, so…lets just say I took them at their word.

It’s crazy that you come all this way to provide help and support, but your heart is the one that is actually changed. That is so true for me. I have been completely amazed at how incredible the people are here. I received a huge blessing by getting to interact with the people of Ecuador today. God is once again humbling me and reminding me to put things in the right perspective. Overall, today was definitely a ten. I’m having a blast with the team we have here. Everyone certainly worked hard and left it all out there today. I am so thankful to God that I am here.

Ps. Blane—Nick and I would really enjoy a full nights rest without interruption. We really need to reevaluate who keeps the master key. Thanks, Corey

By Corey, 2nd year Dental student


A picture is truly worth a thousand words. After spending one day at our mission site, I have never found an old saying to be so true as a pharmacy student on a primarily dental based trip, I wasn’t exactly sure what I would be doing or where our place would fall. We were told we would be spending time with the children waiting to get their dental work done, conducting eye exams and doing photography-a job I never thought would be so rewarding.

The children flied in the room one by one with looks of apprehension and fear on their faces. With overly excited American grad students “oo-ing and ah-ing” at how precious they were, large black dental chairs/tables awaiting them, and the continuous sound of drilling from dental equipment, I can’t say I blame them. The photography station was each child’s first stop, some accompanied by their mother or family members, and others were all alone. We greeted each child with a “como te llamas” (meaning “what is your name” for those who, like most of us, need help with translation” and encouraged them to smile with the word “Sonrei” or by simply using hand gestures. Although some of the children were shyer than others, I quickly realized how easily a warm smile or gentle tone could put a child at ease. Words cannot describe some of the children’s reactions when they saw their face on the photo, most grinning from ear to ear. It’s funny how something we so easily take for granted, such as taking a picture, can be so remarkable to someone else.

After today, I realized I do not need a specific “place” or duty to serve others in honor of God to make a difference. Whether it be holding the hand of a scared child, taking what may be the first and only photograph a mother will have of her child, cleaning teeth of children at the clinic, (or “prophy” as the dental students say), or simply praying for these children, their families, the church and this country; I know it is the exact place I am supposed to be. Although it took a total of about 2 minutes to take the picture and print it off and decorate a black cardboard picture frame with Spanish quotes of “God is love,” and “God loves you,” the looks on these children’s faces and their parents receiving these masterpieces, will remain in our hearts for a lifetime.

By Lindsay, 2nd year Pharmacy student


Breaking through the clouds above Quito in the cover of dark, we began our decent into the city that we call home for this one week. I had prepared for months. Supplies. Spanish lessons. This was what I had waited for. Little did I know, that that breathing decent over the mountains would only be an introduction.

This is my first international trip. I knew I would learn. I knew I would help. And most of all, I knew I would be ready. Yeah, right. Being one of 2.2 million people traversing the bustling streets of the capital city puts things in perspective real quick. I mean, real quick.

As you’ve read, we spent our first day in-country traveling the city. It’s a funny feeling driving 45 minutes from Quito to…Quito. I can’t accurately explain where we are in the city at any given time because at any given time, we are still somewhere in that same city. Again, humbling.

But the one thing that makes Ecuador so special is its people. Being in a foreign place with a foreign language, I assumed this group would remain self-contained with little outside influence. Yeah, right. There are very special people here that have shown us tremendous love before even stepping foot into the clinic. But that’s what we’re here for, right?

I don’t think I have all the answers, and I know each day I am constantly reminded of that. However, I know that our God works through love. He is seen in our love. And he will always be love. We are here to provide healthcare to those who wouldn’t otherwise have it, but what if we were here for more? What if we were here to be reminded of God’s love that transcends language, country, and circumstances? What if seeing a child smile after receiving sunglasses or holding their hand while in the dental chair wasn’t meant for their benefit, but ours? Tonight, I go to bed thankful to serve a God bigger than my wildest dreams and anxious to make the drive back to that small piece of this vast city so I can experience what love really is.

Ps. Blane--I agree with Corey. Thanks, Nick

By Nick, 2nd year Dental Student




Day one at the clinic in Quito.

No comments:

Post a Comment