Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Ecuador-Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Day three of clinic….check! God is working in so many ways here in Quito. I am taken back by not only the amount of strength and bravery that the people of Quito display, but also by the amount of appreciation that each of them express. I am so blessed to be here and witness God working and moving in so many different ways. I knew when I decided to listen to God and commit to taking this trip that I would have a chance to touch the lives of many people, however I never realized how much these people would be touching me.

The clinic is almost indescribable. 120+ people flow through our clinic doors each day. Today I spent the majority of my time in the “triage” area where I had the opportunity to give injection after injection. I could not trade anything for this experience. One little girl was especially one to remember. In the process of trying to give her an injection, she closes down, and my finger just happened to be in the way. That little girl never did calm down enough for a procedure to be done, but despite that girl’s traumatic experience, the look of hope that was left in her eyes will never be forgotten.

Today was also especially special because we had the opportunity to really experience the city of Quito. First, our translator Nani took us around to little shops near our clinic. Being that I was one of the eight who did not receive luggage, I was able to purchase some much-needed new kicks as well as some very unique Ecuadorean souvenirs. Then for dinner tonight, a group of us ate an authentic Ecuadorean buffet. They had everything from cow tongue and blood clots to green ball banana soup. Then to top it off, there was a dessert bar that ran the length of a wall with the tastiest being this caramel goodness served in a shot glass. It was muy bien.

All and all, I am having a blast here in Quito. I have to say though that this trip would not be what it is if it was not for the people I am sharing these experiences with. I could not ask for two better teachers that Dr. Forster and Dr. Wilson. Also, from everything from the bus rides, to the days and clinic, to the time we spend together after dinner, there is nothing more rewarding than growing in the Lord with each of these brothers and sisters in Christ each day. God is definitely working and moving in the city of Quite, and I am so happy that I am able to be a part of it. Praise be to God.

By Ashley, 2nd year Dental student


I felt like today was a "reflecting" type of day. You know... one of those days where you have really been able to just take in all that is around you. I see how adorable those kids are as they walk in our makeshift clinic. And how welcoming Suzy, Lindsay, Meghan, and Maureen are as they walk in with pictures and coloring books and smiles and simply with the open arms of Christ. And how appreciative the pastor and his wife are as they smile in such gratitude... Just as Bryan has said, a smile has no language barrier. And I see the dentists-- Dr Wilson, Dr. Darren, Hunter, and Matt, as well as Brent, and Blain as they use their talents and abilities for the glory of God. And I know that He has placed me here for a reason... to learn and grow as a Christian and in my professional path in becoming a dentist. And then I look at my classmates and think of how much we have been through together already, and how much we will continue to grow together in the rest of this week and the years to come.

I am honored and humbled to be a part of this experience in Quito. I pray that we have made as much of an impact on the people of Ecuador, just as they have on us.

By Laura, 2nd year Dental student


I have been working in the photography/welcome station for the most part, and I would have to say today was the smoothest day we have had so far. Suzy, Lindsay, Meghan and I have perfected the process of welcoming a child, taking their picture, printing the picture, and decorating the picture frame. The part we have not perfected is the conversation. We are limited to asking the children how many brothers/sisters they have and how old they are, but we are learning more everyday. Lindsay got some laughs today when she asked two older boys if they had girlfriends, but at least she has stopped asking children if they have a cat (tienes un gato?). Although the language barrier is tough, I have learned that a smile or a hug is universal. Some children are all smiles when they walk through the door, and their friendly smiles truly warm my heart. Others are more reserved and frightened and I realize that God is asking me to show them love and compassion so they will be more at ease.

I signed up for this trip only knowing the other three pharmacy students and was not sure how we would fit into this team, but I could not be more pleased with the relationships I have made in the past few days. We have gone from barely knowing each others names to sharing clothes, blow dryers, socks, and mascara. Bryan spoke tonight after our devotion period about how well our group has gotten along and how much fun we have all had together and I was quickly reminded of one of my favorite quotes by C.S. Lewis.

"In friendship we think we have chosen our peers. In reality, a few years difference in the dates of our birth, a few more miles between certain houses, any of these chanced might have kept us apart. But for a Christian there are no chances. A secret master of ceremonies has been at work. The friendship is the instrument by which God reveals to each the beauty of others."-C.S. Lewis

I am so thankful for this team and all of the hard work everyone has put into every aspect of the mission this week. Without any single member, I am not sure how we would have functioned as successfully as we have this week.

By Maureen, 2nd year Pharmacy student


Hunter's Highlights


  • 7:00-8:00- Wake up call
  • 8:00-9:00- Bus ride
  • 9:00-10:30- Fillings with Nick
  • 10:30-12:30- Fillings with Laura
  • 12:30-1:30ish- Lunch (mushroom gravy, chicken, and rice)
  • 1:ish-3:??- Extractions with Corey
  • 3:??-End of Clinic- Triage with Anne Marie
  • End of Clinic-5:15- Bus ride
  • Evening hours: 1)Trip to market to haggle, then pay full price when storekeepers "play the game." (Matt bought the ugliest alpaca sweater hoodie jacket ever) 2)Buffet dinner at Hilton Hotel. SO GOOD!! Menu included beef tongue, blood sausage and caramel shots with Matt. 3)Brent's devotional about discipleship.
  • After the devotional- Bed


Hunter's Final Thoughts
Attempting to capture specific highlights was extremely hard because this entire week has been a highlight. In everything this group does, you can see the joy and happiness that comes from serving Christ with like-minded brothers and sisters. The fellowship and encouragement from everyone's positive attitudes have triumphed over all adversity sent our way. Perhaps the greatest blessing of this trip is seeing the grateful faces of our patients. Even through the language barrier, it's easy to connect with them without saying a word. They know we came to help them and share God's love with them. I'm confident that our joy from serving will continue to bring smiles to our own faces as well as the local folks we have been working with.

By Hunter, 2011 BCM Alum of UTHSC

No comments:

Post a Comment