Thursday, June 2, 2011

Viva Quito!


Let me start by telling you about our bus driver Lennin. This muchacho is a magician behind the wheel. Known for having the sharpest left turn in Quito, his 20 foot whip commands the road. I told him he had amazing driving skills and he replied, "You hadn't seen nothing yet." I didn't really think about this statement until later in the night. After dinner we were told we had a surprise. We walked around Quito and heard this band playing on the top of a 1960's school bus with no doors. My initial thought was, “Huh, that is pretty interesting.” I look closer and guess who is behind the wheel? It’s Lennin! (this is Lennin's second job).

Turns out this is our surprise, and I wouldn't be more surprised if I woke up with my head sown to the carpet. So, naturally we pile in and cruise the streets of Quito blowing whistles with the band, which played the same chorus over and over at least 100 times. I asked Charlie to comment on the ride and he stated, "viva Quito!" Words can’t describe this ride but I’ll tell you what I've learned about Lennin. One is that he is everywhere. Second he gets me around safely and third and most importantly he knows how to throw a party on a bus.

By Brent, 4th year Dental student

No comments:

Post a Comment