Friday, June 1, 2012

Ecuador 2012- Nicole

       This being my first international mission trip, I wasn’t sure what to expect. After five days of being in Quito, Ecuador, I can’t imagine not having come here. The city is like nothing I’ve ever seen before. There isn’t a bad view from any window in the city. There are so many buildings crammed in the middle of the Andes Mountains. During the past four days, we picked one of these buildings to set up our clinic. I have been able to gain more clinical experience here than during my previous two years of dental school. I’ve diagnosed patients, given injections, extracted teeth, and placed fillings. However, the best part of the whole trip was being around all of the different types of people – grandparents to young children. Not only was I able to spend time with them, but also I was able to make a difference in their lives. The joy that they felt for us being here was overwhelming. It’s funny how all of the things I might have expected don’t even come close to actually being here. Sure, the dental experience has been great, but I wouldn’t trade my time with these people for anything.
Nicole
UTHSC College of Dentistry Class of 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment