Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Ecuador 2012- Corey


       Hola from Quito, Ecuador! After a much needed full nights rest, we began our first day of clinic. I began the day diagnosing patients and administering injections before they were sent to either the operative or surgery areas. I had a blast watching Cayce give her first injections and cutting up with Dr. Foster. He was very thankful for the dental wisdom I was able to impart. I know he is a better dentist today because of the time spent with Student Doctor Cloud. Fun was had by all, and yes I did a little work as well. After a very eventful lunch (I'll leave it at that), we moved to the surgery area. I had the opportunity to pull a few teeth. It still amazes me how well disciplined the kids are here. After multiple shots and a foreign guy with pliers in their mouth, they still don't complain and generally take it like a champ.
       All in all it was a great day. Throughout the day, I was reminded why I am here. Not just to gain dental experience, but more importantly to share God's love with people of Ecuador. Having the chance to give injections and extract teeth is awesome, especially the summer before I begin clinic at the school, but the moments that seem to play over and over in my mind are the conversations and laughter I have with the children.
I'll make this last part quick because I'm thinking a walk to KFC is in order for my after dinner snack.


Highlights of the day:
1. Blain not using his master key to get into my room before 6 am
2. Blain not using his master key to get into my room before 7 am
3. Giving injections without supervision (could be good or bad)
4. Teaching Cayce how to give injections (again, could be good or bad)
5. The potato salad at lunch
6. The little girl fist bumping me after pulling 3 of her teeth
7. Encouraging Blain to eat 6 pieces of cake
8. Knowing I get to do it all over again tomorrow

With much love from Quito,

Corey
UTHSC College of Dentistry Class of 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment