Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Ecuador 2012- Jessi

       As a returning member to the Ecuador team, I began this trip expecting to have an amazing experience but also aware that I "knew the ropes" so to speak. That being said, I'm shocked at all of the "firsts" I've experienced in just the first few days.

- I embarked on an international trip with my sister, who is seven years younger than me. We must finally be "grown ups".
- I went on a mission trip with my sister. It awes me at how much I learn through her. It's just proof that you can be a witness to anyone despite your age compared to theirs.
- I experienced my first mid-air plane emergency. That's always fun...
- I ate my first empanada. Muy delicioso!
- I pulled my first tooth, start to finish, without any help.
- I did my first filling start to finish without any help.

       So needless to say, it's been refreshing and encouraging to realize that new experiences are always around the corner.

       However, in spite of all these firsts, there are a couple of things that I've happily discovered to be constant on these BCM mission trips.

       First, the presence of God is real. You see it in the demeanor and positivity of our group. Flight problems and a 3am arrival at our hotel...it doesn't matter...everyone remained positive. I feel like that's not normal with a group of 15+ people. Church service at a local Methodist church...our faces light up just like the local children's faces light up...I like to think its the love of Christ crossing language and cultural barriers to show brotherly love. Working in our dental clinic...it's just awesomely evident in the good that is being done.

       And second, just like the group last year, our group this year just meshes unbelievably well together. Everyone truly gets along and enjoys each and every member's company. We laugh and joke together like we've known one another for years. These trips have probably been some of the happiest days of my life. And this is among people of different professions (dentistry, pharmacy, etc) of different ages and of completely different backgrounds. But we come together truly caring about one another with a mutual understanding that we will not judge one another and we will respect one another. If only real life could be so accepting.

       I'm thankful for both the firsts and constants. It's been a great ride so far, one that has impacted me beyond words. (Bryan, I'm so thankful that you stopped me that first day of dental school two years ago, pushing that lawn mower in 100 degree heat to invite me to the BCM!) And I look forward to continuing this ride...


Jessi
UTHSC College of Dentistry Class of 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment